Get set for the ultimate mountain biking experience – Bunya Mountains – Mountain Bike Trails
After an adrenaline-pumping adventure? We know just the place. Grab your mates, load up your mountain bikes, and hit the trails in the Bunya Mountains.
The Mountain Bike Trails are considered world-class, and we welcome you to enjoy them.
To ensure you get the most out of your visit and to protect the safety of yourself, others, and the environment, there are a few things to know before you visit the trails:
- The trails are a shared recreation and family place, so please follow the rules and obey all signage for everyone’s safety and enjoyment
- During periods of prolonged wet weather or unforeseen maintenance requirements, the tracks might be required to be closed temporarily. Please obey all track closure signage and be respectful of any working crews on site.
- Mobile phone reception is not always guaranteed along the trails. Take a copy of the trail maps on your phone so you can access it if necessary.
- Be prepared and self-sufficient. Every rider should carry what they need for the ride they are undertaking.
- Carry a puncture repair kit, know how to fix a flat tyre, and make minor repairs. Download a GPS trail map or carry a map in unfamiliar locations.
- Ride with a partner or share your riding plan with someone if you’re headed out solo.
There’s something for everyone along the newly created trails ranging from beginner to intermediate, go as hard and fast as you like, or slow it down for a scenic pedal – epic views are guaranteed.
Hit the trails
Tucked away in the foothills of the Bunya Mountains, mountain biking enthusiasts, and leisure pedallers alike can navigate approximately 18km of trails in Russell Park. The park has three designated mountain bike trails and one shared-use trail for hikers and bikers to explore in unison.
Catering to all riding abilities, the trails are of varying lengths from 1.3km to 6.3km and rating from easy to intermediate, designed to challenge experienced mountain bike riders and provide a fun day out for beginners.
Pack some snacks, hydrate, and create memories along the way as you tackle the all-terrain adventure trails weaving through the best of the Bunya Mountains.
Ride longer, experience more
Getting a little extra mud in your gears?
You’ll find dedicated hygiene stations at the trailheads, these prevent the spread of plant disease such as phytophthora in and out of the park. A fine mist of diluted disinfectant and brushes (won’t hurt your bike’s paintwork) helps keep the park safe.
Designated interface points along the trails accommodate both the mountain bike-specific trails and the walking trails so you can choose your own adventure switching from bike to foot depending on how you want to explore.
Explore the Bunya Mountains at your own pace with each of the trails linking up with lookouts and picnic areas providing the perfect place to stop for a bite to eat while enjoying sweeping views from the Russell Park Picnic Area, Bunya Mountains Outlook (Fishers Lookout), and Rifle Bird Park.
Get set for an all-terrain adventure
Embracing the natural environment of the Bunya Mountains, the trails are designed with the preservation of nature top of mind, meaning you can rest assured that you’ll be leaving a minimal footprint while exploring the ancient landscape of the mountains.
Glide along the trails navigating all terrains from fern tracks to rock gardens, switchbacks, and steep descents that are sure to put your skills to the test.
Stick to the designated trails and embrace the adventure ahead while keeping disturbance to the landscape to a minimum and protecting the abundance of wildlife that call the mountains home.