History & Heritage in Miles
Miles – a town where history comes alive
If you’re after memorials and cemeteries to quench your thirst for history, Miles has you covered. The Miles War Memorial Wall of Remembrance commemorates those who died in WWI, WWII and Korea. Then, pay a visit to the Second Town Cemetery, established circa. 1910 after the first cemetery on the banks of Dogwood Creek continually flooded. Stroll to Pitt’s Flat Footbridge, the site of the first traffic bridge to be constructed over Dogwood Creek.
Miles War Memorial Wall of Remembrance – located at ANZAC Park on Murilla Street, this sandstone cairn on a stone plinth base with a curved was of remembrance behind commemorates those who died in WWI, WWII and Korea.
Miles Historical Village Museum – operating since 1971 and is one of the finest in Australia. With over 30 buildings and countless displays this complex has become an important tourist destination featuring authentic and original buildings from the 19th and 20th Centuries. http://mhv.org.au/
Pitt’s Flat Footbridge – located along the Dogwood Creek Walking Track is the site of the first traffic bridge to be constructed over the Dogwood Creek in 1884. The original bridge was replaced by the current RJ Simmonds Bridge.
Second Town Cemetery – located at the corner of Hookswood and Racecourse Roads, was established circa. 1910 after the first cemetery on the banks of Dogwood Creek was continually flooded. The private cemetery on the left marks the graves of the Blackley family and the distinctive horse monument marks the grave of horse breeder Thomas Peter Blackley who died in 1957.
Paddy’s Creek Historical Site – located 8km west on the Warrego Highway, marks the graves of a number of fettlers and their families who were engaged in building the railway line westward of Miles. The cause of death for many of them is reminiscent of symptoms associated with the typhoid outbreak in the area at the time.
Condamine ‘Bullfrog’ Bell – located at the Condamine Bell Park on the Leichhardt Highway is a replica of the bullock bell originally fashioned out of cross-cut or pit saw blades by Samuel Jones in 1868.
Condamine Flood Boat – located at Progress Park, Leichhardt Highway, this was the orignial boat used to ferry mail and supplies across the swollen river during times of flood. The memorial beside the boat was erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the Condamine River.
Condamine Flood Marker – Located at Progress Park on the Leichhardt Highway alongside the historic flood boat, the flood markers captures flood levels, historic images and the stories and contributions of the Condamine community before and after flood disaster events since 1942.
Drillham Creek Historical Site – located at the Drillham Rest Area on the Warrego Highway, is a monument commemorating a railway lengths man and his wife’s four children who drowned in the Railway Weir in 1893.
Dulacca War Memorial Digger Park – located at Roy Henderson Park on the Warrego Highway, lists thirty two servicemen from WWI; twenty of whom were killed in action and two have MM after their names, signifying they won Military Medals for bravery.