Take the time to discover the true meaning of pioneering spirit in the townships and villages of the Western Downs.
Follow the footsteps of early explorers, railway pioneers and experience the graciousness of grand pastoral life. The Western Downs echoes with the past, preserved in authentic bush museums and quirky tributes to insects, artists and adventurers.
- Imagine life as an early settler in a lovingly-preserved slab hut at Jandowae’s Athlone Cottage and check out the town’s Dingo Sculpture, which represents the area’s famous 5,400km Dingo Barrier Fence.
- Explore the beautiful gardens and original buildings of historic Jimbour House. Smaller townships, including Dulacca and Drillham, also have historical tributes to pioneering hardships.
- Take a leisurely stroll through our many historical villages and museums. Miles Historical Village Museum is recognised as one of Australia’s best.
- For a true insight into the life of our diggers, visit the Meandarra ANZAC Memorial Museum. Other poignant memorials include a wall of the signatures of local soldiers before they departed for WWII.
- Don’t miss Montys Garage Vintage Car Museum in Glenmorgan for classic 1940s automobiles, and head to the Dalby Pioneer Park Museum for Queensland’s largest collection of agricultural machinery and to read a letter from Ned Kelly.
- On the western side of Warra you’ll see a monument dedicated to the district’s first miners while Brigalow is home to the Cactoblastis memorial hall, the world’s only building dedicated to an insect!
- European explorer Ludwig Leichhardt, who passed through the region in the 1840s is commemorated with the Leichhardt monument and other sites including his campsite.
- Don’t miss the ‘Bush Friendship‘ sculptures along the Hugh Sawrey Walkway, a tribute to the renowned Australian impressionist artist who lived at Kogan, and Condamine’s large replica of the famous Condamine ‘Bullfrog’ Bell, first made in Condamine in 1868. Nearby is the Condamine Flood Boat, a memorial to those who have lost their lives in floods.