A vibrant arts community thrives on the Western Downs, inspired by life on the land. The region’s art galleries showcase the creativity of local artists as well as touring exhibitions. These rich artistic offerings are complemented by regular markets, concerts and local cultural celebrations.
Our region’s cultural scene is brimming with talented artists and colourful country characters.
You’ll discover works by internationally renowned artists including wool artisan Barbara Geisel and the late Hugh Sawrey who have called the Western Downs region home, as well as a thriving contemporary art community, whose creations in various mediums make an ideal memento.
Also well worth exploring are our region’s award-winning museums. Wander the heritage buildings and memorabilia collections of the Miles Historical Village Museum and Chinchilla Historical Museum.
Even our region’s smaller centres have perfectly preserved reminders of our pioneering days, an original jailhouse and 1912 slab hut at the Tara & District Historical Museum, poignant tributes to our Anzacs at the Meandarra Anzac Memorial Museum.
Learn some new skills at an arts and craft workshop or take in a concert or musical performance. Browse twilight markets or join the locals at a movie night.
Our friendly Visitor Information Centre staff will let you know what’s on around our region.
GALLERIES AT A GLANCE
- The Lapunyah Art Gallery in Chinchilla’s cultural precinct features regular exhibitions and artworks by local and touring artists.
- Check out the region’s newest art space, Gallery 107@Dalby located in Dalby’s MyALL 107 space.
- Don’t miss the outstanding cultural facility, Dogwood Crossing in Miles. The centre’s John Mullins Memorial Art Gallery hosts quality exhibitions and events throughout the year.
- Other gallery spaces including The Bluebelles Art Gallery in the Bell Bunya Community Centre at Bell and Leichhardt Gallery in Wandoan’s Cultural Centre often exhibit works by local artists and cultural groups.
- Myall Park Botanic Garden Art Gallery’s Art in the Garden features sculptures, the Gallery Wall Mural, plus an Enchanted Pathway dotted with tiles painted by local children and musical instruments.